Some new rhododendrons to hopefully spread the flowering season

This week I have added to my rhododendron collection, after meeting Jayne from the former Myross Bush Rhododendrons.  She couldn’t bear to leave her plants behind, when new owners bought her property but weren’t  interested in the business.  So she bought them with her when she moved to a lifestyle block on the edge of town.  Jayne wasn’t wanting to repot varieties surplus to those she wanted in her new garden so I have been able to buy seconds, pot bound, plants that have lost their name tags and small plants for a fantastically low price.  Hopefully, I have some successes and extend the range of flowering times from those I have already planted.

I still have room in the back paddock area but wanted to infill areas in the front first where I have recently established rhododendrons. The tidy gardener helped me by taking out large pittosporums, originally planted for shelter, to let in some light.  The established rhododendrons are not flowering well and I want to see if more light is the problem or if it is dryness. The pittosporum cull has created quite a mess but enabled me to make some planting spaces. 

In the L shape from Kay’s plum tree (short leg against east neighbours) to the ash tree (Fraxinus) on the corner of the drive, two, (fragrant but frost tender Princess Alice) and an unidentified rhododendron (either Blue Peter or Virginia Richards) have joined those already in the ground – Bumblebee, Van Dec, Bud Flanagan, Fastuosum Flore Pleno, Black Magic and Polaris.

In the area against the boundary with the west neighbours in the Red Tussock garden, I’ve planted Black Sport, Cotton Candy, Broxton and Mrs G W Leak.  Already in place there, are Pink Pearl (2019) and an unknown layer.  This area of the garden is damper, especially in the winter.  Originally, it was going to be my native area but it hasn’t proved a good area to grow some natives.

Rhododendron Cheer has been planted in the gap between camellias in the Wintersweet garden with the idea that I will see its early flowers from the back deck.

Mrs J.P. Lade flowering foreground 2019

 An unidentified pink and a small Mother Bear have joined an unknown layer (by the dog kennel), Edith Boulter, Mrs JP Lade (2018), Blue River and Cory Koster who were planted as good sized plants from Blue Mountain Nursery in 2019 in the Cherry tree garden.  On through the gate Aunt Martha, Nicholas and Blue Boy surround the cherry tree opposite the walnut tree – these were planted 2019 as small plants.  They have made good growth but looking a little unwell, possibly due to being mulched with last year’s ash leaves (which I have just learnt are alkaline).  I’ve given them a liquid seaweed feed and hope some Epsom salts may help too until I can apply spring fertiliser.

Chevalier Felix de Sauvage, Gwen Bell and either Blue Peter/Virigina Richards have been planted amongst the small trees in Corduroy’s paddock.

There are flower buds on some of the newcomers so it will be exciting to see what I have and when they flower.  Some of the rhododendrons established last year will flower this spring too so exciting times ahead and more patience for those not yet flowering.


Comments

Popular Posts