Rain has finally arrived in February

My favourite new dahlia grown from seed - it is almost purple and hangs it's head a little

I am known for not enjoying working in the rain but the 20 mm or so we have had this month has been so very welcome.  High temperatures, windy days and virtually no rain has meant a very dry garden in need of water.  I have been saving 'grey' water from the sink and washing machine to help the flowers and trees along, especially those that have been relatively recently planted.  As a township we have been on a sprinkler ban since December and I have tried not to use the town water for my garden in large amounts.  The Tidy Gardener does water the vegetable gardens so I feel that is our share.  I have used the tank water sparingly, and February's rain to date has replenished the tanks - that's a good feeling to know there is 3000 litres of saved rainwater for the garden.

Having had a trial run last season, I planted the special 'NZ Gardener' dahlia seed fairly early in the spring '22 and am enjoying the flowering results; again in pots dug into the ground behind the main glasshouse.  There is a range of colours and after keeping my seedlings from last year don't have a lot of room for more dahlias.  I have a number with dark foliage and I will keep those.  I have a number of reds and yellows I don't want - a friend is happy to have those.  Below are a selection 


  
 

Mum grew the lily in a pot for me the first year (as it arrived with her bulb order) and this season planted the ground it has grown taller than me with eight flower buds.  Has delicious scent - unfortunately the rain shortened the length of time that the flowers lasted.

Comments

Popular Posts