Birthday plants 2021

 

My Mum gave me money last birthday - which of course I bought plants with - what else would you buy as a treat!!!  11 small perennials from Marshwood Gardens.  It's almost my birthday again and its special to have some of those plants flowering this autumn and as a bonus my Mum is here to see them.

Six of them are growing in the wintersweet garden - Helenium Dark Warrior, flowering now is a new plant for this garden and it will be interesting to see how it performs.  Also flowering late March are Aster Helen Ballard, Campanula Kent Belle and Nepta Walker's Low.  Not flowering yet, but making good growth are Achillea millefolium Summerwine and Miscanthus New Hybrids.


                                                 Helenium Dark Warrior

On the Cherry tree bank, planted close together are Geranium Mavis Simpson and Salvia verticillate Purple Rain.  I haven't had much success with salvias to date - hopefully I have chosen the right spot for this special one.  Higher up the bank, behind the corokia hedge is Geranium Orkney Pink.  It's in a hard spot and struggling a bit.  All have flowered this summer.

Geranium cantabrigiense Cambridge is a double up - I didn't realise I already had this one.  It is getting established as ground cover under the Walnut tree.  The last plant is Geranium x oxonianum Claridge Druce which had a near miss in the front garden near Rhododendron Princess Alice.  It was struggling in the drought and I was watering it to keep it going - obviously that made it good digging for the birds and they dug it out completely!!  Now it's in a pot, making a good recovery and a new root ball.                        

                                                Aster Helen Ballard



                                                        Campanula Kent Belle

Comments

Popular Posts