Growing cucumbers for the first time

This year we are growing cucumbers for the first time.  I choose the heritage variety Marketmore because it's no burp.  When the seed arrived the Tidy gardener said "I've got some cucumber seed already (variety Long Green)."  We looked at the expiry date and it said 2014!! Not sure why he had seed but nothing to lose we put a few of each in and both varieties came up!!  I sold the surplus seven or so plants for $1 each on the local Facebook page and gave a couple away too.  So note to self that there is a demand for plants locally.  

Two Marketmore cucumbers have been planted in smallest glasshouse and I constructed a climbing frame from metal mesh scavenged from the farm.  The frame is proving just right.  We have had a problem with some cucumbers being slightly hollow.  I think this is due to not enough water.  The cucumbers are an early maturing, prickly skin variety, so need to be picked by 15-20cm in length.  They are crunchy rather than juicy, and I'm trying to keep a tally, as well as eat as many as I can.  The Tidy gardener does not partake!!






Comments

Popular Posts