It's been a great plum crop this year

 

It’s been a great plum crop this year.  The birds were helping themselves so I think we picked during the first week in February.  Well, a meagre harvest on the yellow plum – I think a lot were lost to the wind and none at all on the Purple King.  Kay’s red fleshed plum had a great crop, so much that there were enough plums to give some to friends.  I managed to stew and freeze about 19 1kg containers, make plum and apple chutney and some plum sauce – both new recipes.  Of course, I wrote down what I modified from the sauce recipe as I felt it has too much sugar, but now I can’t find my notes.  I modified the Plum Sauce recipe from the book In a Pickle by Kirsten Day – I’m sure I reduced the sugar to one cup per kg of plums.  I will have to see if it affects the keeping quality. Maybe my notes will turn up.



Comments

Popular Posts