Happy New Year 2021

 

Happy New Year 2021.  This year I’ll try to write more.  My first year of writing the blog was a learning curve, but I am so proud of myself that it didn’t fizzle and die, though it is now over two months since I posted last.  Fifteen weeks of not a lot of weeding caught up with me; of which, I completely absent for three weeks due to the death of my Aunt. 

 My priority now, is just to keep as many of the weeds from seeding as possible.  The main culprits are a myriad of grasses, cleavers, vetch, sow thistles, dandelions and docks.  I pull and dig these and bag them up for the green waste.  I always feel a bit guilty about this, as I try as much as possible to keep what grows in the garden, on the property.  Santa delivered and assembled a new chipper shredder this year.  It is a completely different beast to my little electric machine.  From my trial run, I can see it will require a method of drying branches and spent plants, as it stalls easily on too much green and soft material.

 Back to my last post, the end of October, I want to mention pink purslane or Claytonia sibirica.  Some regard this as a weed – in my garden it is a welcome delight.  It is a relative of miner’s lettuce and according to google is edible.  



Comments

Popular Posts