Miner's lettuce

 

Calf rearing has been a priority as it’s my paid job for the spring.  The down side of this is that all other activities, including writing the blog take a back seat.  Weeds take over the garden and jobs just don’t get done, as feeding the calves is a twice a day for nine weeks, an every day of the week job and I have only a certain amount of energy.

I have eaten Miner’s lettuce (Claytonia perfoliata) almost every day over spring.  It is a great self seeder but easy to remove and is summer dormant.  I am happy for it to appear almost anywhere in the garden as it is such a great fresh green for sandwiches and is high in Vitamin C and omega 3 fat.  The weather has been wet and fairly cool so the leaves have kept growing.  Now the tidy gardener has cut and come again lettuces in the glasshouse amongst the tomatoes that are ready so my lunchtime sandwich is changing to lettuce.





Comments

Popular Posts