The raspberries are later this year

Cooler temperatures and January rain have extended the raspberry season this year.  Lucky too, for we have been away on holiday and fully expected to have a limited crop for the freezer.  I don't know what varieties we have - I obtained the canes from Mum when she was getting rid of her raspberries.  They do well here, even if summers are cool and give a reasonable crop for not a lot of work.

This is the one time of year I tolerate the neighbour's cat in the garden as a deterrent, as some years there are a lot of birds feasting on raspberries.  I have nothing against cats - its just now that we no longer have a cat ourselves, that this particular cat thinks the garden is its personal territory and as it's rather slim I guess it needs to hunt.  We like to encourage the birds in the garden but we drape net the raspberries and gooseberries and I think it is important to net early before the birds get into the habit of helping themselves.

Nothing like eating raspberries straight from the bush or with some Deep South vanilla ice-cream!!!


Comments

Popular Posts